This section of the website offers free information about ways of empowering people and helping them choose change. Please click on one of the sections below:
The information sheets in this section cover some key concepts, tools and techniques related to personal and community empowerment:
- 8 Steps to Building Your Confidence
- A map for changing your life
- Bringing dreams to life
- Changing unwanted beliefs – handout
- Comfort zones
- Committee Secretary Skills – training pack
- Confidence and self-esteem
- Consensus building method
- Dealing with setbacks
- Emotional Needs Questionnaire
- Empowering by listening
- Empowering people and communities
- Envisaging alternatives
- Exercise – challenging disempowering beliefs
- Fundraising Information Pack – Sept 16
- How flow leads to growth
- How we learn new skills
- Johari’s window
- Key communication skills for committees
- Knowing what you want
- Leadership Styles Questionnaire & Descriptions
- Learning from experience
- Making better choices
- Making Your Case – A Protocol
- Open Space Workshops
- Overcoming fear of failure
- Participatory Tools and Techniques
- Self Talk
- Social Housing – Jargon Guide
- Strengths and Virtues
- The Circle of Influence
- The Human Givens
- The Power of Communities
- What is confidence?
- Where does empowerment come from?
- Writing Reports an Introduction
This is the full version of an article by Roger Saunders, featured in Regeneration and Renewal in April 2007
This resource pack, written by Choosing Change, is for communities who want to start making economic change in their own neighbourhoods. It describes how to tackle problems like worklessness and debt through a wide range of community-based initiatives.
- Dealing with Conflict presentation-jan-17
- Negotiation and Influencing Skills presentation
- Introduction to social housing-jan-17
- Effective group working presentation – South Coast Training
Recommended websites on social and community empowerment, with useful resources:
www.traffordhall.com – Trafford Hall, near Chester, is the home of the National Communities Resource. It offers a wide range of training courses and events for community-based organisations, including many courses by Choosing Change.
www.neweconomics.org – The New Economics Foundation, an independent think-and-do tank committed to developing genuine economic and social well-being.
www.youngfoundation.org – A centre for social innovation, based in East London – currently leading a Local Well-Being Project to test ways of improving public wellbeing in three UK local authorities.
Recommended websites on personal empowerment:
www.centreforconfidence.co.uk – The Centre for Confidence and Well-Being, based in Glasgow, Scotland.
www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu – The best US website for positive psychology, based at the University of Pennsylvania.
www.humangivens.com – Books, CDs, journals and other useful resources about how to tackle a wide range of emotional and psychological difficulties, and about the human givens approach to counselling and psychotherapy.
www.hgi.org.uk – The Human Givens Institute is a research organisation concerned with understanding mental and emotional well-being, and promoting the most effective forms of counselling and psychotherapy.